Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Stubborn For No Real Reason

I have this personality trait, I don't know that it's a good thing or a bad thing, really. It just is. It spills out into other areas of my life as well, but today we'll just discuss the comical ways it manifests.

I'm stubborn about liking things that other people like. Nuts, right?

Let's start with Crocs. When they first came out, everybody and their dog went and bought a pair. Me? I'll never own them. It's not that I don't see the reason why people like them, or don't feel slightly drawn to some of the funky colours. Nope. It's pure stubbornness. I refuse to own a pair because "everyone else has them."

I'm not like that with everything, though. I own lots of things that are the "latest" fad. Despite the media and fashion outlets saying that Uggs are hideous and no one should wear them, I will. I like them and the way they look. So, there.

I just get it into my head about an article or movie or singer, or whatever it may be, and that's that. I will never cave on it.

If someone tells me that "everyone" loves a certain movie, (ie Alice In Wonderland) I'll see it, but with disdain already in my heart. The same goes with music. Alternately, I heard "everyone" hated Sex And The City. So, of course, I had to like it.

I don't know what this says about me, on a psychological level, and like I said, it's not about everything. I seem to select when this stubborn will comes in to play randomly.

It's also not like I'm some big anarchist or a "rage against the man" type. I've never been "out there" fashion wise and doing my own thing. I'm pretty casual and "whatever" about most things.

Yet, here I am sitting in judgement about not wanting to conform or join the group for other things. Weird.

Just to make your life complete, here are some of the random things I've taken a stand against.

-Crocs
-Kameleon Jewellery
-Willow Tree Figurines
-Sex And The City movies
-The Office
-Living in a certain neighbourhood where everyone I know lives. Though-I'll probably give in on this one if it makes sense
-Alice in Wonderland
-Many, many books
-Twilight series. I've seen the movies (total garbage) and read the books (juvenile, at best)
-True Blood (ANOTHER vampire series? Geeze. When will this craze be done?)
-Jersey Shore
-Nicholas Sparks and Jodi Picoult-I don't like writers to write the same "format" every time and expect me to be manipulated into crying. Not gonna happen, here. I fell for them for awhile but then decided I was done. DONE I SAY!
-Gladiator sandals. The things are hideous, I don't care how "in" they were. They are clunky and manly looking. No thanks.

I could go on and on but I'd just be confirming your opinion of my crazy. Well, that, and the fact that I've now decided that blogging about this is on my list too. So you can't make me. I told ya-I don't cave!

No comments:

Post a Comment