Tuesday, June 5, 2012

I Work OUUUUUTTTT

Bootycamp finished up it's course for April/May, and though it runs all summer, I, my friends, do not. I am just not a gal that does well in the heat. I can't even imagine doing the types of strenuous we did in 38C so...for the summer at least, I'm out! That left me wondering what the heck I would do with myself, fitness wise, during these sweltering next few months. I want to challenge myself again, start from crap and build up, and I'm also working towards a 5k that doesn't take me a bazillion years to run or even run/walk.

Obviously, I've lost my ever loving mind, because what I decided to do is clearly nuts.

I'm doing the Insanity workout AND running 3x a week. Did you hear me? Insanity AND running.

Let me preface this by saying,  after all my hardcore bootycamp working out, I truly thought Insanity wouldn't be THAT difficult. I used to find the Shred really hard, and now it's kinda ZZZZZZ. When I tell you bootycamp whipped my butt, I'm not even kidding!

I'm on Week 2, Day 2 of this Insanity/run craziness. Two days a week I do a 38 minute Insanity DVD and then hop on the treadmill and run 30 mins. I'm at the point now where I just run the whole 30, no walking. Well, I'm lying-that actually only happened once (on Sunday) but that's what I'm going for now! It's the new standard! I also do Insanity alone the 3-4 days of the week so that I'm working out 5-6 days in total.

The moves in the DVD are similar to many of the bootycamp exercises I did. The idea is using your own body weight to build muscle, so there are no weights or kettlebells or whatever. It's just me, my yoga mat and Shaun T. (well, and a bunch of other folks that already annoy the snot outta me!) The difference with Insanity is that there are hardly any breaks. It's like GO GO GO and then...die. The buff folks in the DVD take breaks, tap out, spit....which makes me feel better when I have to stop a second and then get going again. I'm literally DRIPPING all over my floor by the time I'm done. I know, sick!

I've also never been so tired in my life. By 3pm I'm begging for a nap. Those who know me well know that, I'm  "anti-sleep."  I'd pretty much rather do ANYTHING than sleep. It's just such a waste of time! Well, not so much anymore. I've been in bed by 10pm and turning the lights out around 11-12pm. I know that's not "early" to those of you who go to bed at like 9pm, but for me-that's monumental.

I'm also starving like crazy. I work out, have a recovery drink, and then pretty much cannot wait more than a moment before shoving food into my face.

I've got some organized workouts lined up with an instructor too, but I couldn't fit them in this week. I'm hoping to do those occasionally over the summer. (Wednesday nights and Saturday morning-early!)

We'll see if I can stick this out for the next two months-minus vacay time. I'm playing around with the Insanity schedule, making it work for me in terms of number of days and switching up the days of the week I'm supposed to do whatever DVD is called for that day. As long as I get each of them into the week, then I'm good.

When the trainer warns you in the warm up that he's "worried about this workout" and then collapses on the floor at the end of it and says, "this s@*t is bananas!" you know you've survived something hardcore!

                                                  (image from dvdstreets.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment