Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Blame It On Julia Child

Since seeing that "Julie and Julia" movie, my dieting ways have taken a bit of a turn for the worse. The imagery caused by that film was so inspiring, I wanted to make countless Julia Child inspired dishes. Everything she cooked made my mouth water.

So, of course, I've whipped up a few things already.

Yesterday for lunch, I chopped up a bunch of fresh veggies I had on hand.

I used zucchini, tomatoes, red and green peppers, all from my garden. I also used a store bought Spanish onion. I sauteed them in a dash of heart healthy olive oil with some garlic, salt and pepper, and a dash of Frank's Red Hot. I then cut up some baguette and browned it in the pan with the olive oil and juices from the veggies. When it was golden brown and a bit softened, I took it off the heat to plate. I poured the veggies on top, crumbled some feta and some cilantro and VOILA. Lunch was served. Man, it was sooo good.

Then, the other night, I made Julia Child's Chicken (the one I spoke about making a few blogs back). It's in a mushroom cream sauce. I wasn't sure anyone would like it but me, because I'm the only mushroom fan in our home. I found the recipe online on a blog, and it looked easy enough and delicious. The thing with me and recipes is, well, I tend to only "loosely" follow them. For example, the recipe called for whipping cream. I used 10% half and half which I figured was a LITTLE more figure friendly. It also called for shallots or green onions, neither of which I had on hand, so I just used my Spanish onion. There were other parts that I omitted or changed up, while keeping the basic premise in mind. I served it with wild rice and some asparagus spears. Seriously, everybody in my family not only liked it, they LOVED it. My husband went back for thirds, I believe. Forget saving any for his lunch the next day! The sauce was crazy delicious. I mean that in the "lick the pan while cleaning" type of respect. It's something I wouldn't make "too" often simply because it's almost addicting and one could eat way, way, way too much of it in one dinner time. Ahem. Not naming names. (Hubby)

If you'd like to indulge in the creamy goodness that is this Chicken with Mushroom Sauce, follow this link. If you dare. She also has Julia's Beef Bourguignon recipe, which I too will soon be trying out.

I'm trying to eat "clean" about 80% of the time. But that 20% I allow myself to indulge in two of my favourite things-cooking, and eating.

Bon Appetit!

http://sugarandspice-celeste.blogspot.com/search?q=julia+child

No comments:

Post a Comment