Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My Life As A Movie Scene

You know when you watch a movie and they have the great scenes where the main characters are sitting at a loud table of all of their friends, with candles and flowers and little twinkly patio lights surrounding them, and they are all laughing and talking? It could be a scene out of "Friends" as well, but I just saw the movie "Julie and Julia" on Sunday night and saw a similar setting.

I'm always a little envious of those scenes. Firstly, it's great food being shown and I've already mentioned that I'm a bit of a foodie. (note to others-that movie makes you really hungry. I'm already getting ingredients to make the Beef Bourguinion and the Chicken with a Mushroom Cream Sauce. It looked so yummy. No diets mentioned please.)

Secondly, it's this awesome, intimate moment with people who truly know and love each other and have a long standing friendship. They are there to support or hold up or cheer. The important thing is, they are just there.

As I was watching the scene, I had a really great realization. I have no need to be envious of those scenes. Just a few hours earlier, I had been seated around a table with my best friends since I was fourteen. We have now added husbands and kids, of course, so the circle is even bigger and more loving. If someone had filmed a scene of our evening, they would have seen laughter and hugs, great food, secrets shared, and people all there for each other. I was the one with the birthday cake at the end, but you could take that snapshot any time we get together and you'd witness the same ambiance.

My life resembles a movie in ways both good and bad on any given day, but my friendships really mean a lot to me and they always bring me out of the dark scenes into the light. I'm truly lucky to be blessed with the strong, beautiful, intelligent, witty characters in my life story. We move from dark drama to feel good movie with plenty of laughs, but regardless of theme, we reappear in each and every sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment