Monday, September 14, 2009

Starve A Fever, Feed A Cold?

We've been struck by the first flu bug of the school year, here. It hit my oldest daughter over the Labour Day weekend, and then me this weekend. My daughter missed a week of school due to a high fever, cough, chills and fatigue and general body aches. Let's add into that mix-a generally crappy attitude.

Oh lucky me, I didn't get to miss a darn thing. Well, okay, I got to miss the weekend. I woke up Saturday morning convinced that my allergies had started in earnest, only to realize by noon that allergies don't come with chills and achy legs. Great.

I somehow stumbled vaguely through that day, and was more than happy to see my husband arrive home at five o'clock. He took over parental duties while I lay in a heap on our bed. I took an Advil Sinus that night and slept like the dead. That's unheard of in my home. Or my lifetime. I was asleep by ten and didn't wake up again until seven the next day.

Yesterday, my husband spent the day entertaining our children and running them around town, while I again lay in a bedraggled heap. I napped off and on and was a general lazy pants. I did manage to feel better by dinner time though.

And today, I'm still snuffly but feeling much, much better. I may still try and get a very good nights rest tonight (ie drug it up) but then I should be back to my normal ninja self.

Now, here's the thing about me. Even when I'm sick or had surgery, I always eat. Always. It's VERY rare for me to "lose my appetite." I had a big surgery years ago and afterwards the nurses said I could have a protein jello. Are you serious??? I said I was quite hungry and felt I could eat more than that. They oh so kindly brought me TWO protein jellos. Wow. That hits the spot.

I followed that up with a chicken broth soup and made my mom go grab me a sandwich from the vending machine. I hadn't eaten since dinner the day before and it was almost that time again! A protein jello (or two) is NOT going to cut it, folks!

My mom says I've been the same since I was a child. Maybe it has to be with my hypoglycemia stuff, but if I don't eat, I feel a hundred times worse. So, no starving a fever or cold here. I believe it keeps my strength up to eat healthily even when sick, so I'll always manage some crackers, toast, broth or soup and well, tea. That's just a given staple in this house.

And, low and behold, I find I'm actually a lot less sick than most people I know. I don't get sick often, and when I do, I kick it quite quickly and usually without the use of any medicines.

Today, I'm back to the grind and will be working til dinner time. After that, I have some nice salmon planned for dinner, with rice and broccoli and corn on the cob.

Mmm can't wait. Germs, beware!

No comments:

Post a Comment