Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Don't Be So Smug!

As is typical of me, I always learn things the hard way. I don't know what it is about life this go around, but apparently somebody up there is having a great laugh at my foibles. I've had the fortune(misfortune?) of learning that being smug always comes back to kick you in the butt.

Throughout the years, there have been various things that I've felt rather smugly about. For instance, when I was a kid, I could eat like a man. I kid you not. Basically I could pretty much eat whatever and not really change size or get chubby. It felt pretty darn good to eat like that and not have to really worry. Unfortunately, that then created a lumberjack's appetite and that ability to not gain didn't really hold. Darn it. So much for thinking I would be blessed with a great metabolism! I don't really know WHAT I was thinking getting into that habit, because no one in my family is small and delicate looking with that long, lanky build that stays waifish. Thanks for nothing ancestors!!

Next smug issue came in my teens. Though I'd get a few pimples here and there depending on hormone fluctuations, I never had big breakouts all over my face. I was always a bit smug that my skin was pretty nice for the most part, and that I didn't have to worry about acne. I used to get compliments all of the time on my "porcelain complexion" and I got kind of a big head about it. Well, jokes on me apparently, because now in my late 30's I have more breakouts then I ever did as a teen. What's THAT about? They need an industry for the anti-aging stuff combined with breaking out at the same time! I know it's partly because I sleep like 5 hours a night and probably don't drink enough water.....but I lived on rye and coke(and whatever else I could get my hands on) and no sleep back in the day!!! Youth is soooo wasted on the young.

I've also been smug about my parenting at times. I've talked about it before on here, trying to apologize for my smug ways, hoping to have this curse lifted with my penance! My eldest daughter was a dream come true child. Pleasant, kind, polite. We could take her anywhere and beam with pride at her charm and grace. We were pretty sure we were the world's greatest parents to have guided this child in obviously such a great direction. WRONG!! I should have kept my big yap closed cause my youngest has MORE than kicked me back to reality. She's had huge meltdowns in public, she's fought me tooth and nail, and she's stubbornly and adamantly refused my pleas to "talk about this later." When will I learn this lesson? Clearly, I'm not the brightest bulb.

I could literally regale you with my pitiful tales of woe of smug tables being turned, from the small and inconvenient trial, to the huge, difficult and painful smug struggles. However, I won't. It may have taken a gut, acne and a screaming child to get the point across, but I got it.

YOU HEAR ME??? I GOT IT!!! Let me be smug about that, at least!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment