Monday, September 3, 2012

Monday, Busy Monday...(sung to the tune of Bloody Sunday)

I almost wrote Sunday up above, which would have gone much better with the U2 song now stuck in my head. Hey, it FELT like a Sunday, so it's all good.

I preface this post by once again reiterating that I'm a huge keener, like order and routine, and love me a task  list like nobodies business.

I made a plan last night as I lay in bed of what my day would look like today and all that I wanted to accomplish. As I got up this morning, that plan seemed a lot less appealing, but get 'er done I would!

My first task, before breakfast, was to lace up my runners and get a run in before it got too hot out. It wasn't horrible out, but it was still stinkin' hot at 930am. I'm not a fan of heat, as we've also discussed.  I set out on my regular 5k loop, sun beaming down and feeling pretty good. I had set my Nike app with my play list, or so I thought. A few minutes into the run I realized I had hit "shuffle" and was listening to every tune on the ipod. Yuck. I didn't want to stop running to fiddle with tunes, so I just kept hitting fast forward. Let me tell you this, good music makes a HUGE difference in motivation. Sigh. I left that crappy music go the entire run, and I'm sure I hit fast forward more than I actually listened to any songs.

The first 15 mins of solid running were good. I had to keep slowing my pace because my tendency is to go faster and burn out sooner. It's not as easy as it seems to not run your "normal" pace! My body wanted to MOVE. My plan was run 15, walk 1-2, run 15 minutes. When I got to the walk part, I was ready for some walking! A minute went by and I felt like I hadn't walked at all, so I allowed another minute and then started running again. Somewhere in this second 15 I totally lost the motivation to run at all. My head was like, "meh, just go home. I'm not feeling it."  Of course I didn't. I kept on trucking. I definitely had to watch my speed, play with stupid music, and then did more walk/running than I wanted but finished 5k at 37 minutes. I totally could have done it much faster-my head just wasn't in the game today. Needless to say, it was an okay run but not my best and I was glad to get it done.

I came home, had a lovely breakfast and coffee on the deck, just sitting in the sunshine. It felt wonderful to just enjoy-but I'm not going to lie. I'm an Autumn girl and I'm ready for some cooler temps!

The next plan was putting laundry away, unloading and reloading the dishwasher and then doing a ton of baking for the next two weeks!

I'm trying not to buy baked goods like cookies and granola bars for my kids any more. The last few months of school and now starting back today, I take some time on the weekend to bake up the next week's batches of goodies.  Today was granola bars, chocolate chip cookies, a pumpkin spice cake with pumpkin spice icing, and a baked pumpkin oatmeal for quick breakfasts. I also had muffins in my plans but I decided to wait til next weekend to do those, once I see how long all of this stuff lasts!

I literally was on my feet from about 1pm to 530pm mixing, blending and baking. The plans for cleaning the house went out the window at that point-though my husband did vacuum! Phew! The cleaning will have to wait til later on in the week!

I then made dinner, tidied up, did my daughter's shower, got school bags and supplies all ready and labelled, and made lunches.

I'm totally exhausted and I know the week is going to be more of the same as we all adjust to this routine again! I always find the first week is a bit of a mess with everyone tired and out of sorts and with a hundred school notes and demands for $ !

I'm watching my friends 4 year old son for the next two days as well! I haven't had a son, and I haven't had a boy that age in my care in quite a few years! I imagine we'll have a blast-but I also can bet I'll be super sleepy come bedtime tomorrow! :)

I hope you all had a great long weekend, and  I hope the days ahead are full of great "firsts!"

No comments:

Post a Comment