Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Little Sex, A Little City, A Lot Of Laughs

I headed back "home" yesterday, with the sole purpose of seeing the new(ish) "Sex and the City" movie with my besties. We brought my Mom back as well after her visit here, and literally dropped me at my friends two minutes after arriving in the city. I was thrilled to see my girls, and mostly to get out of our car, where doggy barfing and child whining had occurred for several hours.

As we exited the theatre, I asked, "So, what did you think?" Two of my friends didn't like it at all. One even said it was a 4 out of 10. Despite it's horrendous reviews, (ie "Sucks and the City") I liked it. My other friend backed me up, too.

One of the reasons that came up for the dislike was that the film was a bit cheesy. Actually, a "bit" might not be a strong enough word to use. It reeked heavily of fromage.

You know what, though? Doesn't real life also carry that stench?

Carrie and Big have this romantic moment, where engraved on a watch is "Just us two, me and you." Yes, corny. But peer into any of our homes as a fly on the wall of life, and I bet we all have some pretty darn saccharine moments with our spouses and children. We have pet names and silly routines and might even say sentimentally driven things like "There's only you for me." Well, not me of course. I ain't that type of gal. You see what I'm saying though. We all do SOMETHING that would make our friends want to vomit in their mouths, just a little bit.

The cheese factor for me is what kind of makes it real on some level. It's believable, though also easily scoffed. I also liked the exploration of how a marriage is between two people "making their own rules as they go along." I believe that wholeheartedly.

You can never know what goes on behind another individuals closed door. I bet each and every one of us has rules or expectations that another couple wouldn't even dream of creating or doing. That's just fine. At the end of the day, it's that personalization that makes a marriage a commitment that works for the two individuals who took the vows.

Okay, sure, there were moments that were above and beyond ridiculous. I mean, Muslim women disrobing to reveal the Spring Line? Please. That was just silly. That whole scene to me with Samantha and the market seemed like it was unnecessary and could have been cut.

All in all though, I liked the different "real women" issues that were explored. The typical harried Mom with two little ones who needs to cry in a closet, the business Mom that feels guilty for loving her job, the married woman that questions her heart and her path-we all know these women and at some point, we've all been these women.

We made our way to dinner after the flick, and spent hours drinking and eating and talking and laughing. Mostly laughing. As I looked around the dim table at the faces of my friends of almost 23 years, I felt a little cheesy myself. We may have even joked that we, too, were "soul mates" before anything else in our lives. You know what though? Corny as it may be, for me, it's true. As jobs and babies grow into careers and teens, as singles grow into couples, as marriages battle hurdles and wane and then strengthen once more, these women are a constant to me, and to each other.

I'll take that cheese, with a side of wine, and nibble and sip appreciatively for what it is and what it will continue to be for a lifetime.

And with that, I sign off with a special and personal note to those women.

Goodnight, Pete. XOX

No comments:

Post a Comment