Thursday, May 26, 2011

Zumba...Si?

On Tuesday night, I was coaxed (okay, pretty much forced) into doing a Zumba class at the local rec center with a new friend. In turn, I asked my friend Conny to join me. The more the merrier, right? That's what I thought, plus, it's always better to have familiar faces around when you're beyond anxious.

I literally spent the day worrying about this class. I heard from various people how much of a workout it is, and that scared the poop out of me. I really didn't know if I'd be able to do the whole hour. I knew if I did, I'd net a terrific calorie burn though, so I really wanted to try. I also don't like sweating. It's never really been an issue for me, actually. My head sweats like it's going to explode, but otherwise, I don't usually get sweaty. Umm, I said usually.

We got to the class and jumped right in to the workout, or so I thought. Apparently that was just the warm up and I was already red faced. In my typical fashion, I cracked jokes the whole time. It makes me less nervous-don't judge. But as I was laughing and wiping my face on a towel repeatedly while guzzling copious amounts of water for my cotton mouth, I realized I was having a great time. It was actually kind of fun. Okay, the sweat was disgusting, but the class was enjoyable!

Zumba incorporates many of my "likes" in one class. It burns a lot of calories, it's aerobic and cardio, and it involves dance and music. The other neat aspect was that the class really DID host a wide assortment of people, from men to women, from big to small, from old to young. My friends also weren't lying to me when they said that nobody watches you because they are too busy trying to keep up themselves. I know I was focused squarely on myself, well, and the girl in front of me. Sometimes I couldn't see the teacher!

All in all, I enjoyed it enough to go back, drenched shirt and all. I'm totally not even kidding. Gross.

I'm sure like everything, at some point I'll get bored with it, but for now....I'm shakin' it while I'm fakin' it. I'm going back next Tuesday for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment