Monday, March 23, 2009

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety Jig

Did you miss the blog?

I've been away for a luxurious ten days of fun filled visits with friends and family. My girls had a great time with their cousins and family, and seeing their friends that they have missed. I got to see my best gals which is always laughter and comfort filled. I spent the time at my sisters catching up and making plans. And again with the laughter.

And now I'm back "home."

So for today, that involves many, many loads of laundry. It means stocking up on a large mass of groceries. It means trying to adjust to being back on the 'ol routine. And with the sun shining and a new month ahead, it also feels like it's time for a change. I'm not sure what that change will be, but I feel it in the air. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what the days bring.

Being back, it makes me realize that home truly is whatever you make of it. I am far away from my family and many of my lifelong friends. However, I'm creating a life in these new surroundings with new friends and activities and life experiences. When I go back to my old life, I miss being there. I miss all of the people and places and amenities. And yet, I see the beauty of here as well. Oh, it's definitely infinitely different. But there is something about that slower pace that appeals to me. There's something to lower costs of living and older homes and no housing developments. There's something to kids playing in the streets.

Does that make me less hopeful that I'll one day move back to that old comfortable home? Of course not. But it makes me want to relish my time here and make it as memorable and pleasant as it can be, for me and for my girls.

"Home" is truly where your heart lies. And while where I want to eventually "settle" may be a few hours away from where I currently reside, home is also where my family gathers to talk and play and love. And THAT could be anywhere in the world, as long as we are together.

"Home" lives in your heart, and not within the confines of four walls. So, make wherever you currently dwell feel like a soft landing place and be "at home" with yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment