Friday, April 29, 2011

Love And The Royal Wedding

I got up extra early this morning in order to watch William marry Kate. I've been watching coverage all week and knew I'd be up with the birds (crows,specifically) in order to not miss a moment.

You'd think I was a big romantic, not wanting to miss a single lovey dovey sigh. SO not the case. I'm not typically sentimental, or romantic. Even at the height of being "in love," I've never been the type to get all giddy and sappy about romantic overtures or gestures. Some girls might see that as cold, I see it as being a realist. I'm a total cynic, and since more than half of marriages end in divorce and most people take their vows with a grain of salt in the long term, I'd say the stats are on my side.

That said, I watched with tears in my eyes.

My family, specifically my Mom and Granny, are/were Royal Watchers. I was 8 years old when I watched the courtship of Charles and Di and then watched their wedding on TV. We had books of engagement photos in my home, and trinkets of the event. I also watched Fergie and Andrew's wedding, Williams first baby outing, and ultimately, Diana's heartbreaking funeral. I even remember the moment when coverage showed the car crash and sitting in my ground level apartment on the edge of my couch, tears streaming down my face.

This morning found me sitting on the edge of my couch once again, tears streaming down my face. I watched the whole event with Diana in my mind. William looks so much like her, from the shy mannerisms, small smiles and red flushed blushes. It's shattering to me, as a Mother, that he doesn't have her there. I believe she was in spirit, however.

My favourite moments were Harry whispering, "wait til you see her!" to William with a cheeky peek, when William saw Kate and said, "you look beautiful!" and Kate's questioning, "are you happy?" once in the carriage. I also loved the furtive glances and the shy, polite kisses on the balcony.

I'm glad that while they followed some traditions, they also chose to buck others. Kate is the first Royal bride to wear her hair down (shocking, I know!) and to do her own makeup. They blended their own sense of selves with the decorum of a Royal wedding.

One thing this marriage may have going for it is that they have already been together for 8 years. By now, they should have a sense of who they are and what they want in future. Hopefully, they've worked on their communication and are realistic about each other and themselves.

Even the grand cynic in me hopes for love and trust for them both. I can't help it. While I am by far a practical person, I seem to still cling to that hope that they will find happiness and security for a lifetime, together. After all William has been through and the losses he's already suffered, I wish this for him.

Being a tomboy, I never got into that whole "Happily Ever After" fairy tale whimsy, but maybe, just maybe....this WILL be a happy beginning to a wonderful life together.

No comments:

Post a Comment