Monday, February 23, 2009

And the Oscar goes to......

Yep, I stayed up till oh...midnight-ish watching the Oscars last night. I have to admit, I think it's one of the only years I've stayed up to watch the whole thing. And stayed up enjoying the whole thing.

I liked the way it was set up this year in terms of going from "beginning to end" of how a movie is made. We all know the "boring" awards are going to go out first, so this way it's not like they are trying to pull the wool over our eyes or pretend otherwise.

I thought Hugh Jackman did a good job as well. I think he's supremely talented, for sure, but I still found many of the moments with the song and dance stuff a little....awkward. There seemed to be pauses in there that just didn't seem right. I dunno. Maybe I'm too critical.

Speaking of critical, that outfit Beyonce was wearing in the musical number? YIKES. I usually think Beyonce is quite beautiful but I did NOT think that little one piece bathing suit thing suited her at all. In fact, I wasn't even sure it was her at first.

The other thing I always find weird is when they show the little slide show of the people we've lost the past year. I think it's rude that a videographer is shown to little or no response, and then they show Paul Newman and there are cheers and loud clapping. I mean, well deserved to Paul Newman and all, but I feel badly for the videographer guy. And his family.

All in all, I liked the flow this year. I liked the musical numbers to keep us on our toes, and I LOVED the way they had the five past Oscar winners do the supporting and lead presenting. That was pretty cool. That Sophia Loren is still a huge diva. What was with Cuba Gooding Jr though?? I honestly felt like someone should tell him to see a doctor. He does not look healthy.

The bad news about watching the Oscars is the fact that now I have to go out and watch some of the movies since, this year, I hadn't seen any of them. Obviously SlumDog Millionaire is right up there and I'd love to see The Reader. I was thrilled Kate Winslet won. I think she's the next Meryl Streep-who is my other fav. (and no, not just because I look like her!)

So, today I am keeping the whole movie appreciation thing going. I'm seeing "He's Just Not That Into You" tonight with some girlfriends and going out for a drink beforehand. I'm sure it'll be an Oscar worthy evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment