Friday, May 28, 2010

Can't We Keep Them In Bubbles?

Sometimes, I wish I could keep my daughters small and sheltered, in a world full of just what I say and what I believe. I'd like to keep them innocent and joyful and worry free.

I wish they didn't have to lose that innocence that's so refreshing and beautiful to witness in it's simplicity. Days full of sunshine and rainbows and hearts, and evening dreams full of fireflies and Swedish Berries.

I wish they didn't have to eventually know about things like earthquakes and poverty and starvation.

I wish they weren't exposed to media warnings about pedophiles and kidnappers, out to harm and worse.

I wish kids today didn't grow up so fast. I'm not just saying that because I'm an old fuddy duddy, either. Kids today DO grow up faster than we did in my day. In some ways they are more sheltered. In other ways, they are more apt to see images of sexuality all around them, in the media, on billboards, on TV.

I wish some parents out there would do a better job protecting their children's innocence. Some of you know them, too. They are parents who allow whatever movies and shows and video games the kids want to see or consume. They don't keep a watchful eye and their kids get into the parents personal, or ahem, pleasurable items. They are the parents that make crude jokes and innuendos in front of their kids, or even neighbourhood kids.

I wish I didn't have to have "the talk" with my 10 year old, and realize that she knew way more than I would have ever guessed, and about things that a 10 year old has no business knowing. I wish I didn't have to see her age right before my very eyes, armed with such knowledge. I wish I could go back in time, and hold her in my arms and stare down at her wise, beautiful angel face, knowing I'd protect her and cherish her from all harm forever.

I wish this day had happened 3 or more years from now.

I'm glad, of course, that my daughter feels comfortable enough with me to chat about everything. I mean, EVERYTHING, even amid giggles. I am beyond pleased that she also went to her Dad and talked to him and asked him "for a guy's perspective." Amid giggles. I'm glad she's a grey eyed, strong willed, confident soul with a kind, artistic and gentle heart. I'm proud she's mine, though this talk has lessened my hold and cut a few apron strings. Maybe, just maybe though, they've bound them tighter together.

I still have many wishes, though. I wish that wishes grew on trees, in long elegant lines of wish trees and money trees and Swedish Berry trees.

I wish. I wish. I wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment