Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Long Weekend And Ghetto Slide

The long weekend has now come and gone, and here we are all back at the grind again. The weather had decided to be scorching hot, after snow a few weeks ago. Crazy. I hear it's going back down to "seasonal" levels next week, and I'm happy about that. I'm not really a "heat" girl, unless I'm by a lake or pool. Otherwise, gross.

That brings me to the past weekend. We decided to just stick around home for the Victoria Day weekend, after much debate about waterparks and such. Instead, my husband came up with the idea of creating our own version of the Slip and Slide, or Wet Banana.

We have a very big backyard, and it slopes. My husband bought vapour barrier (I think, I don't know these construction terms. Some big, white plastic sheeting thing is how I'd likely describe it.) He laid it down the slope and secured it at the top with golf tees. Next came a hose spraying directly onto it continuously, one halfway trickling down the bottom and a bottle of dishsoap.

It was seriously, the best thing ever. I don't even know how many times the kids, the adults, our family and neighbours from all corners, went down the thing. I was trying to go down a new way each time. I went backwards, on my knees, lying down like the luge, upside down lying down, standing even!

We would stop occasionally for lunch or a snack, and in the evening for dinner. We all joined food to create big street bbq's and all ate in our swimsuits on the front lawn.

We had a fabulous weekend with minimal cost. As my husband said, "That was the best 20 bucks I ever spent."

Bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment