Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Blog Rules

Did you know that certain bloggers out there in cyberspace have made it their duty to create "rules" for blogging. For instance, did you know that doing the occasional "bullet blog" is considered a faux pas? Or that writing a short paragraph is taking the "easy route"? Or that writing something too long is not conducive to a large audience? That using short forms or slang negates your writing ability?

To that, I say, WTH?

I write a blog, primarily, for myself. I write because it's what I "do." It's what I've always done. I have felt a need to put pen to paper, hand to keyboard, feather to quill (ha!) since I was a little girl.

Of course it's great to have people who want to read my rambling thoughts and rants and feelings and vents. It's nice to know I'm reaching somebody out there and that someone is enjoying my musings. I love reading about other people like me, reading about their daily struggles and their tips for survival in this jungle of life.

However, I will not be confined to a certain set of standards and rules set upon me by the self-appointed "Blog Police." I write for enjoyment, and I don't think there should be impositions to erode that contentment. Those who want to read, will. Those who don't, won't. Simple as that.

I've never been good with following the status quo. Tell me not to do something, and I'll usually go the opposite way. Tell me "everyone" is doing something, and I will rebel against it wholeheartedly.

In that vein, look for bullet blogs, rambling diatribes and short catch phrases in the future. If it offends you, look away. You've been warned.

1 comment:

  1. I think any rules (accept grammar) associated with writing are just plain stupid and hinder creativity. And especially for a blog!

    ReplyDelete