Friday, April 23, 2010

Nieces

Both of my nieces turned 18 this last little while. My sister's daughter turned 18 last Friday, and my brother in law's daughter today. I cannot believe how the time has flown.

Those two girls were little 4 year olds in yellow dresses dancing through bubbles at my wedding. They were my flower girls, and looked absolutely adorable.

My sisters daughter spent a lot of time with my husband and I and I've delighted in watching her grow and change every step of the way. I have fond memories of camping trips and dressing her up to play at the park. I was a student back then, working part time. Anytime I had extra money, I'd be shopping for little dresses for her. She was, and is, sweet and kind and easy going.

We visited my other niece in their home in Sooke, flying out when my own daughter was 15 months old. At the time, she was a little girl on the verge of entering the preteen stage. We went fishing and watched Disney movies. She, too, is an easy going, laid back type of girl.

Now, here we are so many years later. I've been busy raising my own family, and my nieces have grown from girls into women. They are both graduating highschool this year, off to the big world of University and the experiences they'll have there. They have so much ahead of them, and they are in an incredible moment in their lives.

I know that my time with my own daughters is going to go by just as fast. Our time with our little ones really isn't very long before they are off building dreams and ambitions and a life of their own.

When I look at my nieces, and my little girls, I can see their little baby faces and their first steps and words. I can also see the women they are and will become, and it makes me proud to see this group of females in my family. They are strong, smart and kind. Their Moms did incredible jobs with them. I hope my girls turn out as wonderful as my two nieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment