Friday, April 2, 2010

It Was A Good Friday

Though my husband is still hobbling around on crutches and the swelling hasn't gone away, we still managed to have an amazing family day out by the lake.

Through my friend, I met some other families here and we've been invited to various events that included their group. I think I blogged way back about going on a sleigh ride and then back to their place on the lake for skating and dinner.

Today, they invited us back for a family day in the sun. It was a steamy 25C here today, and made for the perfect backdrop to sitting with a glass of wine. The kids played on the beach making sandcastles (in April??!!) and jumped in a huge bouncy house. The adults enjoyed some wine and some snacks and just general tomfoolery.

We all brought something for the potluck which was served buffet style up on the screened in porch. There was ham and asparagus and whole wheat rolls, couscous salad and an Asian salad with Ramen noodles. There were several kinds of cheeses and crackers and olives and pickles. Oh, and the desserts!!! Angel food cake with strawberries and whip, lemon meringue pie, chocolate butterfly lollipops, two bite cupcakes and salt water taffy.

We spent the entire afternoon just hanging out chatting with kids playing around us, intermittently asking for swing pushing or delicate bucket removals for the perfect castle. We got some nice sun on our faces, we laughed til our sides hurt, and we ate like Kings and Queens.
The best part of the whole day was the companionship of the four families intermingling, with children ranging from 6 months to 10 years. Our kids played great together, we played great together.

I'm heading on a girls weekend at the end of April with these new friends, and I cannot wait. If today was a small taste of what that weekend will be, I know I'll come home happy and less stressed, with a good ache from raucous laughing in my sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment