Saturday, March 6, 2010

Karma Bus

I'm going to say something that will shock and awe you all.

I don't believe in Karma. (now waiting for lightning to strike me)

I do believe that being kind and putting positivity out in the world is a good way to live. I think we should all strive to be better people, and I truly believe each one of us can make a difference in someone else's life, small or big.

Do I believe that because we do so, and because we're kind and good, we'll get kind and good things thrown back our way? No.

I've lived enough life to know that, you know what, sometimes bad people do bad things their entire existence and nothing "bad" comes back to make them "get theirs." Sorry "Secret" believers, but it's true. There are people who abuse children who never have to pay for their crimes and who continue blissfully along. There are murderers who get away with their crimes uncaught in their lifetime. On a less heinous note, there are just mean people who do mean things every day, and they never face retribution. That's sad, but true.

I'd love to believe that for every bad deed some Karma Bus would come and strike down the offender, but I'd be waiting forever for that event to happen. Trust me when I say, I've been waiting.

By the same token, there are individuals that do incredibly wonderful acts of kindness and never get the recognition and kudos they deserve. Obviously, these individuals aren't generous and kind in order to get something, which just makes them all the more incredible. But, if Karma truly existed, then all things butterflies and hearts and rainbows would surround random acts of kindness. For every cruel, mean, heartless act imposed by a dark soul, strife and pain would visit their door.

Sorry folks, just doesn't happen.

Karma would be truly awesome if it existed in the world. Instead, we just have to make our way with our own positivity and kindness intact. We do our best on our journey, and we let the injustices that are inflicted roll off of our backs. We do so not with hope for payback for the offender, but with the hope that we can be the bigger person and can learn from the pain and move forward stronger and more whole than we were before.

If a little retribution hits the offenders in the ass at some point, all the better. I won't hold my breath though.

No comments:

Post a Comment