Saturday, March 13, 2010

Puppy Days

We have a new member of our little family, her name is Darby. She's a mini goldendoodle and totally adorable.

As the completely rookie dog owners that we are, we are exhausted. We've stayed consistent to a routine and it seems to be working. It really is like having a new baby though! My husband lets the dog out at 11pm, and then I get up with her at 630am. You heard that right-she's sleeping through the night!! WOOHOO. Now, tonight is daylight savings time so that'll probably screw it all up. Knock on wood. She hasn't had a urine accident in the house at all. Poop, well that's more my fault than hers. I wasn't aware of the "signs" of that need. I'm getting better and so is she.

I find though that I'm the same way with my dog as I was with my kids. That means, stuck by her side. We put her in her crate all night, and I try to put her in off and on during the day. But I haven't really left the house for any period of time with her in the crate. I know, pathetic.

Next week is March Break and we have some plans so I guess I'll have to get used to doing that pretty darn quick. My fear is having her upset, or creating some sort of life long trauma that turns her into a nightmare. The last thing I want is to have a dog that we are stressed about all of the time. The idea was to enjoy a pet and the responsibilities it brings.

So, I have to bite the bullet. I'll have to crate her.

Other than worrying about how much she is eating, how much she is pooping, and good training techniques.....we are enjoying her. She's a total mushball and very affectionate. She stays by our side and loves to snuggle. She wants to be with us everywhere we go.

I know these days are going to go fast, and I know they are laying the groundwork for the days to come. That makes it all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment